Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Lessons on Weeknight Excursions and Swedish Death Metal

I’ve always heard that it’s better to go out on weeknights. John and I have kind of made it our thing to go out on Tuesdays. (There’s nothing good on TV.) Usually we get a bite to eat, maybe some coffee or ice cream. Pretty tame stuff. But last night, all my theories on how one should “go out” on a Tuesday changed. My new Tuesday night standard? Chilling with Swedish melodic death metal bands in Swedish dive bars.

After dinner at Calo, we stopped by Simon’s for a drink. It was about 10:30, and the crowd was pretty subdued—except for the huge group of tatted-up long-haired dudes in leather who were yelling “HARD ROCK!” and then taking shots.

Let’s just say that after a short while, I befriended Peter, the bassist of Swedish death metal band In Flames, and he put two bucks in the juke box machine for me to choose whatever music I wanted. We spent a good while exploring the selection and chatting before ultimately choosing 4 songs:

1. I Just Want to Make Love to You – Muddy Waters
2. You Got It – Etta James
3.
Big Chief – Professor Longhair
4. Homeward Bound – Simon & Garfunkel


I chose the first two off a Chicago Soul compilation album, and they were pretty solid selections despite the fact that Peter was disappointed they weren’t by Chicago the band.

Both Peter and I loved the album art on Professor Longhair’s album and figured he must be a good musician with a name like Professor Longhair.

And finally, Peter chose Homeward Bound after I told him my mom raised me on Simon & Garfunkel and he said we should really play a song for my mom. He was so right.

Here’s to you, Mom, with love from me and Peter.

No comments: