Friday, March 7, 2008

I don't know you

This past summer, I made it a thing to go see movies alone. It was something that I had fantasized about doing for years, but had never gotten up the courage to go do.

So with my cell phone at hand (feigning a call to a friend to meet), I went to my first movie alone. An 11:10 AM showing on a Saturday morning. It was Hairspray.

Perhaps pretending to go meet a friend at a movie where John Travolta plays drag the whole time before noon is not exactly a shining start, but it was something at least.

A few weeks later, I went to see 2 Days in Paris alone on a Saturday afternoon. When I left the theatre, it was nearly six, there were storm clouds rolling into Evanston, and it was one of those muggy, hot August days that make you forget that Chicago is ever bitterly cold. I wanted to share one of the scenes from 2 Days in Paris on here, but don't watch if you plan on seeing it and don't like spoilers. If you haven't seen it and don't mind spoilers, or don't even plan on seeing it, watch it. Julie Delpy manages to phrase perfectly what it is like to be in love and to fight. It's basically perfect, in my opinion.

No comments: